The U.S. Division of Homeland Safety, on the course of President Donald J. Trump, is extending the REAL ID enforcement deadline to Oct. 1, 2021, in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Alabama’s model of the federal REAL ID program is STAR ID, which stands for Safe, Trusted and Dependable Identification.
ALEA Secretary Hal Taylor stated, “We started modifying the Driver License Division operations Monday, March 16, and continued to serve clients on a extra restricted foundation to scale back potential publicity to the virus. Beginning immediately, March 26, ALEA Driver License places of work will shut all public entry, and workers will stay on-site to reply telephones and help with on-line companies. As at all times, we’re devoted to serving the residents of this state, however we should make the well being and security of our clients and our personnel a precedence. This deadline extension ought to relieve a few of the wait time at ALEA’s DL places of work to acquire a STAR ID through the subsequent a number of months.”
Throughout this closure, ALEA’s Driver License personnel might be making contact with clients who scheduled appointments for companies previous to the pandemic.
Please see beneath a abstract of what companies Alabama residents will or won’t be able to do right now:
Clients will NOT be capable to:
- Acquire first-time issuance of DL/CDL or ID card
- Take information check (Learner’s License, Motorbike, CDL)
- Take highway check
- Switch out-of-state license
- Acquire overseas nationwide/renewal
- Register vessel – first-time registration or switch
- Acquire Ignition Interlock License
Clients will be capable to:
- Renew DL/CDL/ID on-line
- Renew by mail – for Alabama drivers out of state for army, employment, missionary work, beneath a doctor’s care or different points on a case-by-case foundation
- Request a listening to on-line or by mail/fax. We is not going to take any legislation enforcement actions till listening to will be held.
- Change tackle by mail/electronic mail/fax. Deal with change doc out there on-line.
- Change title by mail/electronic mail. Contact ALEA DL for directions.
- Renew hardship license
- Have license reinstated by mail/electronic mail/cellphone. Could use bank card.
- Order MVR (driver historical past) by mail/electronic mail/cellphone. Could use bank card.
- Order crash experiences by mail/electronic mail/cellphone. Could use bank card.
- Submit medical playing cards by fax/electronic mail
- Submit medical unit types – fax/electronic mail
- Deal with Necessary Legal responsibility Insurance coverage – on-line/mail
- Renew vessel registration on-line
As soon as ALEA’s Driver License Division resumes regular operations, clients might schedule an appointment on the company’s web site to acquire a STAR ID and conduct different driver license enterprise. As well as, Secretary Taylor wish to remind the general public of the 60-day grace interval for driver licenses (Code of Alabama, 32-6-1), however clients who wish to renew through the pandemic are inspired to take action on-line. People whose driver licenses should be reinstated might contact the Driver License Division to deal with it by cellphone.
For extra data on STAR ID, on-line renewals and different companies, and the most recent on Driver License Division workplace closures, please go to www.alea.gov.